Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Garden Grows Here

I may have exhausted the whole excitement of having a backyard now and everyone is probably sick of hearing me talk about it but I cant help it. Give me a couple of more months and maybe I'll stop......or not.

When we lived in the apartment one of the biggest things that really bothered us and quite frankly depressed us, was the fact that we didnt have a back yard. We wanted a place for the kids to play but we also wanted a garden. A place to grow vegetables, herbs,  and fruits if we were lucky enough. Now that we have a dedicated space we were finally able to make it happen! Let me re-phrase that. Nick made it happen. I watched and made everyone lemonade. Hey it takes work to juice all those lemons! Im not big on gardening (it makes you sweat and i dont need any help in that department) but I love to watch everything grow, pick it, and be able to cook or bake with it. So Im at least contributing in some way :) You see, I cook about 90% of our meals at home. We rarely eat out and when we do its usually a treat. It was a huge change that we made in our lifestyle I would say about 2 years ago when we added up the "dining out" expenses at the end of the year and nearly passed out from the shock. It was the first time we had a dollar amount on what we spent eating out and to be honest we just didnt feel like we had anything to show for it. They werent great meals or healthy for that matter. They were "hurry and just pick something up before I lose my mind and we starve to death" type of meals and if Im being honest we were eating out at least 5 days a week and sometimes for all three meals on the weekend. I cringe at the thought now.

But I digress. Nick spent the past weekend (or few weekends) building us this beautiful garden. He worked incredibly hard and it turned out just the way we wanted. Its not completely full yet we are still deciding what we want to plant but I have a nice little herb garden going, some lettuce, heirloom tomatoes and strawberries. My favorite so far is the orange tree. I love it. I love the way it looks the way it smells and the oranges are devine! Today I made an orange sherbet for us to enjoy and enjoy it we will! If you have never made homemade ice cream its really something special. It tastes so much better than the store bought stuff, its cheaper and it makes just enough to satisfy you til the next batch without sitting in your freezer and getting freezer burn. A good ice cream maker will cost around $49 which isnt bad at all. I have the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment and I love it. Sits in the freezer til Im ready to make a batch.The recipe I used was the Cooks Illustrated Fresh Orange Sorbet Recipe.

So as our family grows here, so does a garden :) 





2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you got your garden! It looks adorable & looking forward to see what else you cook up from the garden. I have a small little one at my place, and I absolutely love being able to go out to pick some fresh basil to add to pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle I always think of you when I think of a garden. I remember that beautiful Watermelon you had growing!! :) I hope we have some success like you did!

    ReplyDelete